Wednesday, April 29, 2009

To be 14 years old again...

I couldn't imagine going back to being a teenager. Of course, I had some of my best memories during that time. At no point can I imagine being 14 old years in 2009. It was awkward enough being a teenager in the nineties. I guess the reason that I write this is because I mentor a 14 year old. I can remember being a teenager. The last thing that I wanted to do was follow someone else's schedule, especially an adult. So, I've learned to be open..flexible, letting our friendship grow organically. I don't want anything to feel rushed and forced. Slow and steady wins the race.

The lights, the camera, and the action. The temptation. The closed doors. The gunshots. The obstacles. The fight. The responsibility. The pressure...and through all that, still finding a way to have a dream. Reality tv, breast implants...plastic dreams. Gossip Girl, America's Next Top Model, My Super Sweet 16...what ever happened to the days of hop scotch, double dutch, and water balloon fights? Now, it's all about the gloss and the short shorts. Watch your step...she's only 15, although she looks to be about 20. Don't risk it.

I know what I was doing when I was 14, so I try to understand. To not force any ideas or ideals on anyone, but to be there with open arms when I'm needed. I'm going to fight for this girl. She deserves it. She wants it. Quite frankly, I think that she needs it. But I'm going to wait, take my time, and allow her to make her own decisions...no need to rush the inevitable. I'm quite confident everything will work out just fine.

Until next time, kiddies...
Peace.Love.
Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment