Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gentrification...just another word for displacement

I'm all about the revitalization of a community, but not if it is going to neglect to recognize those that have created that community. Not if there is going to be no assistance to those that have lost their job, home, minds and families. Not if kids are going to be homeless, and be expected to perform to certain standards. Not if old people are going to be duped out of a home that they worked hard to obtain, just so that some real estate investor can come in, do minimal renovations, and advertise these as condos. I am not in support of this if the new faces that walk into this community are afraid of the people that are already here. Walk in the street, don't go out after dark, ride your bike everywhere, and refuse to support the community. Can't go preaching if you're not practicing. So, they come in, do what they do, and in the meantime, have no comprehension as to how it's affecting everyone else.

I was reading a newspaper article a few months back about a landlord in Brooklyn that placed dead cats under the stairs, in the hopes that the rank smell wafting through the building would drive the rent-stabilized, low-income tenants out. I hear conversations all of the time in Bed-Stuy about tenants going to court with their landlord; or shall I say slumlord? All of a sudden, I see cops everywhere. Where were they when little kids were dying on the streets, and when their dreams were being interrupted by gunshots? Usually po po's just harassing someone around here anyway. On my way to the train, I see families getting evicted..I wish I could do more. Where do they go? I don't even think they care where these people go. As long as they can multiply their earning potential. Providing sub par food...no joke, I have seen people buying expired meat in some grocery stores around here. They're usually old and don't know any better. I try to help them. Help them to get something fresh. Most people aren't even aware that their food stamps are accepted at the flea market, so that they can get something fresh to eat.

Dug and I met a guy in the grocery store a while back, and we started talking about what was starting to happen in Bed-Stuy. His friend's mother had just passed away, and his friend was willed her brownstone. He sold it for $100,000.00. He went to Florida, thinking he was hood rich, and went broke in three months. Now he's back in Bed-Stuy, sleeping on couches. I know damn well he could've gotten a million for that brownstone building, but I don't think he knew any better. If we're going to allow people to come in and take over, don't people deserve to at least have some assistance in making a sound decision? We really need to come together, start helping people invest in the long term...not just settle for instant gratification. Those with those skills, we need to offer our resources to others that may not have them. The one's who need a miracle to happen. Crabs in a bucket...not acceptable.

Cometogether.Cometogether.Cometogether.Cometogether.Cometogether.Cometogether.Cometogether.Cometogether.
Peace.Love.
Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment