Sunday, April 26, 2009

My ambivalence towards our coffee maker....

Happy Sunday, good people. Ms. Angie Lee back on here again just letting you know the deal. So, every morning, one of us brews the coffee. This morning, I was up first, so I went into the kitchen to get it started. Pour the water into the coffee maker, measure the grounds, hit the power button...nothing. The machine wouldn't even turn on. I started playing around with the cord, and then the electrical panel. Still, nothing. Haha, universe...this is very funny. On to plan b...hit up the dudes at the bodega. It's only 7.45 in the morning, so I'm quite sure that the brew is pretty fresh. The only problem is making sure that it stays hot enough for the other half when he gets up. We don't do the microwave thing, so that's out of the question. I put the jeans and shoes on...time to head to the corner store.

As I walk out, I see Steve. We exchange words..."good morning, Steve"..."bless, Sista" is always his response. I know that he has to be pretty pissed to have to clean up after the neighbors that threw a bbq yesterday. Assholes. Get over your self-entitlement and clean up after yourselves. Stop being so lazy. And stop leaving the door to our building open @ 2.oo am. We live in the hood, not Maine, so recognize that shit. Kids live here.

Back to the subject...I realize how beautiful it is outside as I'm walking to the store. A lot of people are already out and about, but everyone seems to be taking their time this morning, even me. I get to the bodega...we say our good mornings, and I ask for a large black. "Sugar?" "No, thank you, just the coffee."

On the way back to the apartment, I decide to take a stroll through the park. The same old men that were there playing chess yesterday are there again first thing this morning. They're both concentrating hard. A few kids are scattered about, playing on the jungle gym, and there are a couple of groups of people chillin' on the benches. The park is a mess from yesterday's block party/basketball game, but I spotted the cleaning crew coming in. One of the women was on her cell phone, laughing, so it doesn't seem as though she's too upset about the disaster that was created.

I spot a patch of fully blossomed tulips. I detour and go observe. I decided to pick one to take home. It's a beautiful, vibrant, peach color with a yellow tint to it, with the perfect green stem. I put my nose to the petal, and take a deep sniff. I love the smell of flowers, although sometimes the pollen makes me sneeze. Anyway, as I walk through the rest of the park, I twirl the stem in my hands, completely oblivious as to how hot the coffee is in my right hand. I get to our building; Steve is still outside, this time chatting it up with one of our neighbors. He seems to be in better spirits now. Good.

I get to the apartment, open the door, and D is awake. Perfect. No need to worry if the coffee is going to stay hot. It's now the perfect temperature. I divide the coffee, add a little French Vanilla cream...it's time to sip. So, thank you coffee maker for screwing up on me today. It forced me to go outside and take a walk. Thank you because I now have a beautiful flower sitting in water at the kitchen table. Thank you, because maybe now I can have a valid reason for buying that espresso machine that I've been eying for years. Thank you for our time together, but it's now time to put you to rest, Krups. But, I am kind of upset that I didn't get a chance to make a brew one last time before you croaked on me.

Until next time kiddies, I'm out....

Peace.Love.
Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment