Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Now, to mom and dad...Mama and Papa don't take no mess

I also feel as though I owe a thank you to my parents...for allowing me to become my own person, and not breaking my neck when I know that you really wanted to.

To: My Dad

I want to thank you for being there. You showed me exactly what true dedication to the family was. I'm aware of the sacrifices that you've made in order for me to have a better life. You going without in order for us to have. Sacrificing bills getting paid, so that I could take a trip to Canada, or England, or dance class, or art class, whatever. Thank you for not allowing me to be lazy, and telling me not to be embarrassed to buy a cookbook. Thank you for allowing me to fly away, although I know it was difficult to let me go. Thank you for challenging me to find what I love to do, and discover a way to get paid for it. Thank you for teaching me the importance of a good handshake and eye contact. Thank you for finding time to make it to my basketball games, and instead of watching the game on tv, taking me to the park to shoot hoops. Thank you for teaching me the importance of faith, and not religion...and the fine line that separates the two. Thank you for the books that you've given me. Thank you for the deep conversations. And thank you for taking your days off of work to drive me into the city to go to I. Goldberg to buy cargo pants. Thank you for allowing me to speak my mind, but teaching me to express myself with respect. Thank you for not flipping out like I knew you wanted to when I was a teenager running amok. Thank you for the cards that were written. Thank you for teaching me what being a true friend really means.

To: My Mom

Now, to my girl. What can I say? I guess that I can only start by saying that I am so grateful to have a mother that I can tell anything to. No matter how cringeworthy the news was, I knew you would always listen, and never judge. I can only imagine how many times you wanted to buy yourself something, and you put us first. I thank you for encouraging me to always strive to reach my full potential, and to walk with my head up high, with focus, regardless of who was talking shit behind my back. Thank you for making a house a home, no matter where we were. Thank you for calling me on the phone when I needed someone the most, just to sing me a song. Thank you for teaching me how to be good to people, but never let them mistake my kindness for weakness. Thank you for reminding me just how important it is to give...even if you don't have much. Thank you for letting me rant, but putting me in my place if I'm wrong.

To: You Both

Thank you for saying no when enough was enough. It taught me not to be a princess. Thank you for putting your family first, despite everything that went on. Who's to say what is going to happen, but I love you both tremendously. Thank you for the encouragement when I told you that we were moving overseas at 19 years old. I knew how hard it was for you...but thank you for always telling me, and doing everything in your power, to ensure that I have my own dreams. Here's to the grind...and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment