Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Black Cat...

Sometime last summer, a stray cat on our block had kittens. One of the women up the street nursed the kittens, outfitted them with flea collars, and let them go. In the winter, I started noticing one of the kittens chillin' on our doorstep, or somewhere in close proximity of our building. This past winter was pretty brutal, so, of course I felt really bad. Everytime I would go to the market, I'd pick up a couple of cans of food for this cat. One thing that I noticed about her immediately is that she had a beautiful, shiny, black coat. Her green eyes were piercing, very vibrant and clear. Doesn't look anything like the other strays that I'm used to seeing in Bed-Stuy.

Dug started trippin' once I asked him if we could take the cat in. If it were up to me, we'd have tons of stray animals and children living in here, but I'm glad that he makes me think about my proposals before I base my decision on emotions. "Babe, you can't feed that cat everyday...she's never going to leave." My mission exactly. It's been months, and still he hasn't budged, but Dug has grown a little fondness for kitty, even if he won't admit it. I never see the cat during the day, but once the sun starts going down, I know that she's coming back to the building.

Coming home from work, or the grocery store, or wherever, I see kitty...always trotting up the block when she sees me, just to rub up against my leg and purr. She never attempts to come into the building, though she will walk right to the door, and keep her eyes focused on us as we walk up the stairs to the apartment. Meow. I'm happy the weather is getting nicer. Dug always assures me that the cat will be able to survive for a long time. They're resilient...they have nine lives. Anytime we leave the building, she'll walk with us to the end of the block...never crossing the street, but bidding us a small farewell...or, at least that's how I see it in my head. Kitty was getting big for a minute...we thought she was knocked up. But we eventually came to discover that a good portion of our neighbors' have been feeding her too. Sneaky cat. No wonder...

2 comments:

  1. Cats can really be adorable and they know how to siddle up to you to get the goods and hopefully a nice home with good people. Maybe its something their mothers instinctively teach them. OK now this is what u do and guess what it usually works. My kids were always bringing strays home or wanted a cat for a pet. I even rec'd a poodle that had been mistreated and I nursed him back to sanity. But let me tell you this and know this to be a fact some of them are good and some are bad but you don't really know their personality til they live with u. They're all sweet when they're trying to size u up and get in like Flynn. Some of them can have the greatest dispositions and believe me they have their own personalities. So don't criticize or fault the brother for his precautionary nature. You wouldn't take every nice guy or girl into your home just because they seem so nice and tame, well it is the same for those cats. The cat's smart enough to not only suck up to you but getting freebies anywhere he can and if that ain't intelligent I don't know what is. He is just trying to get someone to open the door and let me in,perhaps that just survival but they know. Too bad though there's so much animal cruelty. They really have a hard time just trying to make and when people take them in and then abuse them well damn what did you get them for. Cause they so cute when they are babies and the realization sets in that now you're responsible for this being that has outgrown it's cute baby stage and you don't want to deal with it anymore. It is the same damn shame cause people will do that with their own. Do what you can but don't get too attached the cat will survive cause we all are creatures from one sourse that provides for all of us all the time. Allahuakbar. Peace and Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a black cat once myself. Name MIDNIGHT. Midnight ruled the house and was bad on the street. Wasn't afraid of dogs or cats. Started out as a house cat but wanted to be in the streets. Seems like the males in my life always want to be in the streets. Must be me. Well Midnight always had to defend himself in the neighborhood since he was new to the hood( remember he started out as a house cat) he had to fight to establish his place among the other cats. Sound familiar. Midnight stood his ground and soon held his own. We couldn't take him back because he got too aggressive for the house wanted to rule and I mean he thought he was badder than me. Didn't want to listen anymore, was doing what he wanted in my house. So I made him stay out. He ruled Irvington. roamed the streets. I spoke to him every time I saw him. At first he would look with acknowledgement but then he'd just look and act like he didn't know. I understood that too. He was on his own and "man" I mean cat enough to handle his business. A lot of the females didn't take to him at first but I'm sure by now he's fathered many who wanted wanted this cat's offspring. Females want offspring with good survival skills and MIdnight was a master. I miss him sometimes and often see a black cat in the neighborhood with a crooked tail(one of his war wounds). I still speak,not sure if it's still Midnight but he'll turn his head as if to say OK I survived I'm still here and you know what we are both OK now with what went down. May only be my imagination but that CAT was bad. I love u Midnight where ever u may roam and I think he knows that too.

    ReplyDelete