Saturday, June 6, 2009

Your truth isn't necessarily mine...

I just find it very difficult; difficult to believe their so called "truths". I find it too hard to keep my mouth shut about this situation, because I'm so tired of seeing this shit happen. No one saying anything because they're too afraid of what is going to happen to them. The look of guilt that I saw on the faces of the NYPD as I took pictures of the gathering of the funeral for Omar Edwards. First and foremost, this man was a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a brotha...putting his life on the line. I wonder what made him want to be a cop. Seems to me that the NYPD is on the prowl, recruiting just like the military. Promising those that grew up in the ghetto a better life. Most of the new cops that I see on the street look like babies. Probably because they are. What irritates me most is the complete lack of care, concern, or sensitivity to this situation. Close the case on this one and keep another dirty secret. The skeletons in the NYPD's closet. Now, I'm not going to make assumptions, because I was not there. However, I am not going to be intimidated to state my feelings. Regardless of what really happened, this is a tragedy. Even if they do decide to do an investigation, his family is never going to get over this. Ever...even as the pain slowly starts to dissipate. I find myself asking a lot of questions, since there are so many holes in this story. No, I'm not jumping to conclusions, just speaking through different eyes. Reading in between the lines. Trying to absorb as much information as possible, so that my conclusion is not biased. This is my truth. How I see it. Regardless of whether or not you're offended, I can only continue to be who I am, and refuse to just accept what everyone else tells me is the case.

So, Mayor Bloomberg promoted Edwards to detective after his death? A lot of good that's going to do now. Okay, it's something, so don't just think that because I say that, I'm negative, or in most cases, people like to call me "an angry Black woman". Quite frankly, I don't think that Edwards was even on the NYPD's radar for becoming a detective when he was alive, so why is it that only after he was killed by one of his "brothers" that the promotion was made. Was that supposed to make his wife feel better? Just because you label him a hero, does that make up for his children who will never know their father? Is that supposed to be some condolence for the mother and father that had to bury their son? Is that promotion supposed to be some kind of "motivation" for other cops...if I get shot, maybe then I can get a promotion. How about a thorough investigation? How about a public apology for being so negligent? I have a feeling that his wife won't be seeing any of that "promotion" money to help feed her children. I have a hard time believing that anyone from the police squad is going to even go and visit her once the heat is off the situation.

So many people saying that we need to give the other officers the benefit of the doubt. Okay, whateva...most importantly, two out of the three cops there were under investigation. Officer Andrew Dunton (who killed Edwards), has received 4 civilian complaints in 4 1/2 years. Sergeant John Anzelino just completed a monitoring program for cops who have had too many complaints against them. This was his second time in the program. Anzelino has incurred more than 13 civilian complaints since joining the police force in 1996. An NYPD supervisor has described Anzelino's record "as more than a red flag", considering only 10% of the force receives a complaint in a 12-month period. So, obviously, once I read that, I knew that it was even more shady than I had originally thought. From some other witnesses account of the situation, Edwards didn't even have his gun drawn. He had Goita in handcuffs on the ground, with his gun on his waist. Since he was arresting someone, when the cops told him to turn around, how was he supposed to do that? And then the question that still remains....how is it that the fatal shot that killed Edwards was in the back? If he was facing all three cops before Dunton shot, why was the entrance wound of the bullet in the back? How are we now hearing that there were only three shots fired, instead of the six that were actually shot? Correction, news. Three shots hit Edwards, though six were fired.

Now, whether or not there is going to be an investigation, debate, cover-up...whatever, we cannot deny that there are a lot of holes in this particular story. Just like with Sean Bell last year. It's time to wake up. This could have been avoided, but now I know exactly why I don't trust the cops. Even the so-called good ones. I see the other side of the police living in Bed-Stuy. Harassing people...profiling...walking around like their balls are big. And they can continue to stop me, ask me what I'm doing...whatever they see fit. I know my rights...

No comments:

Post a Comment